My friend Josline at Modern Mama Spruce Grove wrote a FABULOUS post last night about the 5 things she allows herself to do. It was inspiring and gentle – I loved it. We all need to give ourselves permission to let go once in awhile.
Here are the 5 things I allow myself to do:
- Do the things I love, regardless of my family commitments. I’ve been called selfish for doing this, but when I take the time to do the things I love, I’m a happier person. When I’m a happier person, I can spend more energy on my family. When I ignore the things I love (running, dance, yoga, hiding out away from everyone), I’m cranky and snappish. No one wins.
- Nap in the middle of the day. This is such a luxury, and it may seem unproductive, but little moments of rest make up for any early mornings or late nights. It’s also delicious to curl up on the couch with my girls while they watch a Disney movie in the afternoon. We get lots of cuddles, and I wake up refreshed.
- Ignore the housework. I get the basics done on a need-to basis. The dishes get done, the laundry gets done, the floor gets vacuumed. But is my kitchen spotless at any given time? Hell no. I’d rather spend my time on the relationships in my life, including my relationship with myself.
- Slack off. I’m training for a marathon right now, and it’s really hard to stay motivated. The thing is, I’ll do it eventually and I’m not in it to win. I’m in it to finish, so if I need a day off, I take it. I’m not about to turn a passion into a chore. Anytime I force myself to do anything, I end up resenting it. I do what makes me happy so that I can enjoy my life.
- Avoid people and places that make me uncomfortable. I’ve been burned badly and it’s made me a bit of a social-phobe. I have a network of friends now, but if there is an event or situation I don’t feel 100% in, I back out. I also avoid being social when I feel like I have to force it. I am committed to only participating wholly. If I don’t like it, I’m not putting on a fake happy face.
What do you allow yourself to do? More so, what should you allow yourself to do that you don’t?