Last week’s mission was to be mindful of how I was treating my body without changing anything. It was an observation period, if anything. Or maybe it was a slacking-off period. Either way, it was a farewell to blahness.
This week’s theme for health is More or Less. While I’m on the baby steps train, I am going to make mindful, general changes to my days as I work towards getting back into some semblance of fitness and overall health. So:
- Sleep. A new puppy and two kids means that I need to go to sleep earlier, because someone really enjoys getting up at 6am to pee. And then staying up just long enough for my kids to wake up…
- Plants. Not just in my garden. In my diet. My veggie and fruit intake has dropped drastically. I was eating at least 3-4 servings of fruit and veggies each night I taught. Now I don’t even get that. I need to pump up my vegetation.
- Water. This is another issue now that the dance season is over. I would drink 2L of water just in the evenings. Now I’m lucky to drink a litre a day.
- Walking, and moving in general.
- Engaging my mind, be in writing, reading (an actual book, not twitter), or going outside to do something
- More outdoor time in general
- Awareness of what I’m eating, and whether it’s because I’m hungry, bored, or watching the clock for “mealtime”
- Coffee. I’ve been pretty good about this one on most days, but it still sneaks up on me. 2 cups each morning, and one on Wednesdays before I teach. That’s my max for the next little bit.
- Peanut butter M&Ms. They are my weakness, and have been since they came out in the 90s. Leith even knows to pick them up when I’m having a bad day, and there were a few too many bad days in the past 6 weeks!
- Bread and cereal. I’ve been filling up on convenience food, and it’s left holes in my diet the size of a loaf of bread. Gluten-free or otherwise, it’s not meant to be 75% of what I eat.
- Wine. And beer. And drinks of all kinds. Oh summer, you cruel, thirsty mistress…I will not sit on the porch with a glass of wine just because the weather is nice!!
- Mindlessness. Including sitting, staring, surfing, napping, clicking, etc. Less iPhone-ing in general.
- Sitting. Period.
- Eating because I “should”: because everyone else it, or because I didn’t eat when I was supposed to, because I was out, or because I was teaching. Only eat when I am hungry. That’s it.
There you have it: a week of More or Less moving towards those healthy habits I lost somewhere in March (or was it January? or maybe November??). Time to start paying even closer attention!